Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the Grid Power and Living

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Off Grid Solar Combiner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hkalan

hkalan

Off Grid Solar Combiner Empty
PostSubject: Off Grid Solar Combiner   Off Grid Solar Combiner Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Hello,

It is not easy finding a combiner box for off grid systems using 12v or 24v battery banks. Everything seems to be made for grid tied systems with voltages up to 600v.

I live on the power I make, and have no care to sell back any power at a fraction of what an electric company would charge me to buy from them... seems pointless to me !

My solar charge controllers (MorningStar TS-60 MPPT or PWM) are rated at 60 amps, and thus require a combiner box for each array of 50A to 60A with lightening protection at each. Each controller is set to one voltage... 12v or 24v, so the Lightening protection should be set to that voltage... I have either a 12v or a 24v SPD in each box. That will dedicate the set voltage for each combiner.

Every DC breaker I can find is rated at 250v... I need nothing that high... 48v DC would be the maximum... so I have to have them made. Found a reliable factory, and here they are ! I want to break both the negative and positive for total isolation, should I require the need to do any maintenance or repairs, as well as isolate the entire array at now breaker !

Here is my idea to make a solution !!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is the solution in action !!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is the Video...

I am very happy living off grid, and although the majority see earning fractions of pennies for power they can sell to an electrical utility company worth it. Living off grid for me, gives full payment for what power I make !

Alan
Back to top Go down
http://islandmarine.000a.biz

Off Grid Solar Combiner
Page 1 of 1