Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the Grid Power and Living

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

maximoney1 VAWT project.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maximoney1

maximoney1

maximoney1 VAWT project. Empty
PostSubject: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 12:04 pm

I have been researching various aspects of building a DIY wind turbine and have been getting to the stage recently, that i have been suffering brain freeze...lol.
Thus i have decided to actually make a start on building something and learn more as i go along. Thus progress will probably be more about pitfalls and failures.

Working with these parameters...
Wind data for my site shows that i don't have a great wind resource and with the disrupted wind flow, being as i am located in a built up area, pretty much dictates a VAWT design. I do have a couple of favourable factors however, which may or may not help? I do get a pronounced funnel effect, as i actually had to remove a 60ft tree(see pic comparing tree to the vertical of house structure and smaller tree behind that doesn't catch the funnel effect the same), which was being bent over and leaning towards the house. This prevailing wind direction, is backed up by some wind rose data, which shows the predominance of wind from this direction. My mean windspeed is 5.6m/s(12.5mph) and looking at the last few years data, peak winds range from 22mph - 38mph over the months. Thus i am looking to benefit from a slight boost effect as seen in the pic below(showing flow pattern data over structures). I would be looking to site turbine somewhere in the 'red zone'.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
maximoney1

maximoney1

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Having received my magnet wire, i have made a start to producing a stator....

See vids below

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 am

Hello,

Thinking outside of the box is always a good thing !

I truly believe that a low resistance in so important for an efficient coil !

Good work my friend ! I am looking forward to watch this machine develop, and see your final results !!!

Two thumbs up my friend !!!

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com
maximoney1

maximoney1

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Folks,

Thought this idea might be helpful to someone....

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:47 am

I really like that coil winding jig you made. would be easy to make a set up to keep tension on the coil. I would use a piece of wood to push the wire into place instead of the tip of the needle nose pliers. you do not want to damage the insulation on those wires. The change to a serpentine coil should also be interesting. getting the coils to line up just right will be tricky. even one coil slightly out of position will throw off the total output. I sure hope it will work out for you, the build looks really good so far. I will be waiting to see if you do a output test on a coil to see what you can get. best of luck SD.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 am

Hey MaxiMoney,

Good Video my friend !!!

Keep them coming !!!

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com
maximoney1

maximoney1

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 10:49 am

Hi SD,

If you look at other you tube videos, lining up the legs of the loops is very tricky, just for the reasons you mentioned, but mine sort of takes care of itself in my amended set up. The coil legs on each loop are simply fixed to the other phase loop next to it as per you would do with joining individual coils. Whether its individual coils or loops the positioning is identical. (see pic at bottom of post).

See Caleb's 3 phase serpentine make...a lot more difficult to line up the phases i would have thought, plus all the legs don't remain perpendicular to the magnet direction.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The part about tensioning, was where i was attempting to unwind a 4kg spool to form 4 x 1kg spools....i didnt have any spare spools, so i was attempting to wind 1kg of wire onto a length of UPVC pipe, which didn't go to plan. I recovered the situation ok, but it could have turned into a real mess when the slightest amount of tension was dropped on the newly wound spool.
Just a hint for other novices to be aware of, if you want to wind '4 in hand', you are better off buying four seperate spools, much much easier to handle, for all the difference in price.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
maximoney1

maximoney1

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 am

Just a brief update on progress made...
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 am

Hey Max, its looking good. a lot of work has gone into your project so far. looking forward to see what kind of output you get. Looks Great!! SD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: maximoney1 VAWT project.   maximoney1 VAWT project. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

maximoney1 VAWT project.
Page 1 of 1