Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the Grid Power and Living

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Empty
PostSubject: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm

this video shows how I built the frames that will hold the sheet metal for the wings of the VAWT
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm

this next short video shows the stator set up just before I poured in the fiberglass resign. coils are made using #14 wire, 150 turns.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

This next video shows the upper and lower support arms that will hold the wings on the VAWT
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

this next short video shows the magnet rotor plates and template I made to line up the magnets also shows one plate that had jack holes threaded , which are used to raise or lower one plate closer to the other one safely
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 pm

this next short video gives information on how I attached the sheet metal to the wooded wing frame
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:27 pm

This is a short video showing how the current set up ran in a gusty wind of around 17mph. I still have a lot of fine adjustment to do to work out slight problems with ease of start up, but its coming along pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:53 am

Hey SD,

Have a look at how this similar wing VAWT is made. Spinning in really low wind.

The wings are curved and much more narrow. Time to put on the thinking cap again Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com
SimpleMan

SimpleMan

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey Guys, y'all don't know me yet as this is my first entry into this forum. I've been tinkering with a VAWT design for a several years now but only recently have I acquired the space and tools to move forward with it. This video is the first part of a comparison between a WindBlue PMA and a Missouri Wind and Solar "Freedom PMG". But the turbine is what built in house. Take a look-see and tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
http://andrewsclubhouse.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Hello !

I love your blades ! They would even look good on the stern of the motor yacht !!!

I am very impressed by your attention to detail and how you assembled everything !

Look forward to Part 2 !!!

Please start a new topic under the VAWT category to dedicate everything about your blades and testing ! You don't want to make SD look too good... HaHaHa... I say that with Love SD !

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com
foxint

foxint

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 7:41 pm

SO MUCH intelligence I am in awe. Just goes to prove, the authorities cannot stop you guys. I agree with Simple Man the local councils (here is Australia) are ignorant people who have a selfish self-interest agenda.

There is a small town in German that is 100% solar (instigated by the council) and they sell their surplus and will have their system paid off in 7-10 years. Forward thinking.

But love the blades. I am not an inventor, but will be watching with interest.

Keep it up…

Dan
Orange - Australia
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangewatchcompany.com
SilentDeath001

SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 3:44 am

really nice job on the vawt design. one recommendation I would make. a lot of guys have made vawts with only a bottom driven pma which leaves no support on the top. eventually the bearing with wear out because the top heavy parts will lean to one side or the other. possibly make a rectangular frame with a center top bearing to keep the vawt straight up and down, and also some guy wires and you should be good to go, I have seen pipes over 2 inch in dia fly right off with only a bottom pivot point. I have a vawt with 62 1/2 inch tall blades 36 inch deep supported with only a half inch pipe but a bearing top and bottom. the freedom II is a nice pma, looks like you are going 12 volt. I have the freedom II dual 24 volt pma and its working like a champ. best of luck with your vawt, looks really nice SD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)   The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The start of construction of the VAWT (Wings)
Page 1 of 1