Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the Grid Power and Living

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Dump Load Fridge

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SimpleMan

SimpleMan

The Dump Load Fridge Empty
PostSubject: The Dump Load Fridge   The Dump Load Fridge Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 am

After building a couple turbines the most common question I here from those who are curious is how do they act under a load. My answer is always I don't know! But I am trying to find the answer to that question by building a small portable power distribution board that I can take with me should I find a windy spot to do some testing. Wind has been scarce for the past several months but fortunately the sun is still shinning on my solar panels. The power distribution board started out as a simple little thing but has become fairly complicated and a bit over crowded with many different components that I've come to enjoy using while I wait for wind. A boost pack, or a bank of super caps in a plastic case is what I use as a battery, it's got a 300 watt pure sign wave inverter I use to run my radio, and a mini fridge I use as a dump when the sun is hidden or down. When I have full sun I can also run the fridge as a twelve volt load strait off of the battery. The board is constantly changing, but it is what it is for the moment. It is my Research and Development watts sucking power board I affectionately call "R.D. Wattsucker"

Last edited by SimpleMan on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://andrewsclubhouse.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Dump Load Fridge   The Dump Load Fridge Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 5:28 am

Hello my friend...

outstanding kit you have there.. I am impressed.

Those TEC modules... what do you think is the best efficiency you can get from them, would it be safe to say 5%.

There is never an easy answer... keep up the good work my friend.

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com
SimpleMan

SimpleMan

PostSubject: Re: The Dump Load Fridge   The Dump Load Fridge Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Efficiency of the modules are tough to figure. Since my ability to store power is limited, I've given-up on using them as a direct load on the battery unless it is an exceptionally sunny and breezy day. If power coming-in drops off even a little, it doesn't take long to drain the stored energy from the batteries. Instead I'm using the entire fridge unit as a dump load. That is both TEC modules, internal and external fans and the water pump are all used as a single diversion load. This seams to be the most productive setup so far even though the amount of chill it makes varies with the amount of over flow energy it receives. Something I didn't mention in either of these videos, before I added the water cooling system, it had burned-up seven of these 6 amp TEC modules. These were some cheap modules I bought in quantity just to experiment with. I'm using a pair of 9 amp modules in the mini-fridge right now, and they seam to be holding up nicely. The next step to improve the efficiency of the fridge will be a rebuild of the cabinet to something with better insulation.
Back to top Go down
http://andrewsclubhouse.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dump Load Fridge   The Dump Load Fridge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dump Load Fridge
Page 1 of 1