Off The Grid
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off the Grid Power and Living

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hello from Crete, Greece

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
photis

Hello from Crete, Greece Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Crete, Greece   Hello from Crete, Greece Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 7:58 am

I love it!

Currently looking for a way to cool our travel van (Fiat Ducato) during our travels between central and southern Europe. Temperatures at midday can go up above 40°C (104F) so I would like to cool down 20°C. When travelling in the shoulder seasons it can still be pretty cold at night (down to 5°C) so heating up by 15-20°C would be a nice option too if possible, but not absolutely necessary. Siestas are sacred where we travel and we'd like to be able to take a 1 hour nap during the hottest time of the day Cool

It's a small van (not a real camper van, just a sleeper with lots of storage room), pretty thoroughly isolated with closed-cell polyethylene foam (thermal conductivity W/M x K 0.02 to 0.035), few windows (just 2 40x40cm rooftop skylights/vents), with about 12 cu. meters to cool/heat. Space is the problem here, most traditional airco units take up way too much space, that's how I got here in the first place when I started reading up on Peltier.

Oh, the electrical installation in the van is all 12V. Would that be a problem?
There are 2 x 12V AGM batteries (110Ah each), 2 x Solar Panel CB-100 (100W each) and a Votronic MPP 250 Solar controller (12V/18A/250Wp). It might be a bit of a mismatch 'cause at the time I installed this (and even now) I didn't much know what I was doing and just copied from other guys I found on the internet doing similar stuff.

At this point I just wanted to show my interest and to keep Alan motivated.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Hello from Crete, Greece Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Crete, Greece   Hello from Crete, Greece Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 2:14 am

Welcome aboard Photis !

Always appreciate additional Motivation HaHaHaHa...

Sounds like you are traveling around in dry climates. You could really take advantage of evaporative cooling in that space using very low amp draw during the day. Do you have good ventilation to change over the air in the space, especially when the van is not being used. Here is a link to the style of ventilation units I use http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Roof-vent-Shed-Greenhouse/dp/B001C89GV8 They are self-powered and charge using solar... a win win unit. Get one to exhaust, and one to bring in fresh air. When inside, using evaporative cooling will work and then you are also able to maintain low inside humidity as you have the roof vents moving the air when your not inside. Heating... I have a few good ideas. Will contact you after the weekend !

Talk to you soon !

Alan
Back to top Go down
https://offthegrid.forumotion.com

Hello from Crete, Greece
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Off The Grid :: Off the Grid :: Introductions-
Jump to: